Basalt Mountain Fire Ecology Hike, near Basalt
Wednesday, July 31
5:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Free and open to the public, registration required.
Explore the post-fire landscape of Basalt Mountain’s Mill Creek Trail. For two months last summer the Lake Christine Fire blazed, ultimately burning 12,588 acres. Naturalist guide Brandon Jones will orient participants through the burn area and introduce the principles of fire ecology; plant and animal adaptations to fire, changes in the soil, and an introduction to primary succession species that are bringing life back to this fire-affected landscape.
• This will be a moderate, 4 mile hike.
• Bring a Headlamp as we may do some walking after dark.
• No dogs are allowed.
• This adult program is appropriate for those 16 years and older.
• Bring appropriate hike equipment including water, snacks, and lunch.
• Participants should carry their own personal first aid kit.
This free hike is sponsored by Alpine Bank, The Thrift Shop of Aspen, City of Aspen, The Aspen Times, and True Nature Healing Arts, Bristlecone Mountain Sports, and Ute Mountaineer.
Leader: Brandon Jones
Location: near Basalt
Contact for further info: