Photography Workshop with Jon Mullen
4:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Sunday, Aug 11
Free and Open to the public, registration required.
Whether you are a beginning, intermediate, or a well-seasoned photographer, this workshop will offer you a chance to sharpen your outdoor photography skills. Lighter on technical detail, this class will focus on how to compose photographs that draw the viewer into and through the image. We’ll spend an hour or so discussing those concepts before heading out for a short evening hike to put your camera and legs to use. Our subject will be an overview of the beautiful Thompson Divide and the West Elks at sunset. The hike will be about 1.5 miles each way and largely off-trail. Please be prepared for a hike, with sturdy hiking shoes, poles (if you use them) and a headlamp for the way down.
Wilderness Workshop is excited to collaborate with photographer Jon Mullen, based in Boulder, Colorado. Jon’s work is dedicated to capturing images that help tell the stories of our threatened wild places. His photography has appeared in national and international publications – including Time, The Times of London, The Guardian, Mother Jones, and Outdoor Photographer magazine. He is a contributing photographer to The Wilderness Society, Conservation Colorado, and Wilderness Workshop. His work can be seen at his Boulder gallery or jonmullen.com.
– 1-hour classroom session followed by a moderate 3-mile hike up Four Mile Road (1.5 miles each way).
– Bring your camera and a tripod if you have one.
– Don’t forget a headlamp, sunscreen, water, snacks/dinner, and sturdy shoes.
– This program is appropriate for those 12 years and older. Minors must be accompanied by a parent.
– Some participants will need their own vehicle and to offer a carpool ride to the trailhead. The drive takes about 45 minutes from Carbondale. Please let us know if you are a willing driver. Passenger vehicles are appropriate.
Leaders: Brandon Jones and Jon Mullen
Location: Third Street Center followed by a walk up in Thompson Divide, near Carbondale
Contact for further info: