American Lake Hike, near Aspen
Tues. July 10, 2018
8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Free and open to the public, registration required.
Join Wilderness Workshop to explore American Lake in the beautiful Castle Creek Valley. This rewarding hike offers it all, Aspen and Spruce Forests, alpine views, and wildflowers galore. The Castle Creek, like the Maroon Creek, is held in a conditional water right to be dammed and Wilderness Workshop is advocating that these rights be abandoned or transferred to a less ecologically sensitive region. On this hike, you’ll see for yourself what makes this area so special, learn about the natural history of the West Elk mountains, and find out more about how Wilderness Workshop is working to ensure that this valley continues to provide habitat for an abundance of wildlife.
- This is a difficult and steep hike is 7-miles total.
- Elevation gain: 2000 feet. Ending elevation is 11,365 feet.
- No dogs are allowed.
- This adult program is appropriate for those 16 years and older who are strong hikers. Minors must be accompanied by a parent.
- Bring appropriate day hike equipment including water, snacks, and lunch. Suggested Day Hike Gear List
- Participants should carry their own personal first aid kit.
This free hike is sponsored by Ute Mountaineer, Alpine Bank, The Thrift Shop of Aspen, City of Aspen, The Aspen Times, and True Nature Healing Arts.
Leader: Brandon Jones
Location: Near Aspen
Contact for further info: